Monday, July 18, 2011

Of kolaches and wizards

Last Thursday my awesome friend and Psychic-Twin Katie and I drove up to Fort Worth to see the final Harry Potter with my fellow Longhorns. Just the drive was awesome for a great many reasons, including our attempt at reenacting a famous How I Met Your Mother scene. (click it, you know you want to)

Anyways, along the way we sang way too loudly to Katie's iPod, ate some delicious kolaches from West, and shared some bonding stories. On the way back, we shared even MORE bonding stories, and ordered even MORE kolaches, which made for a very good roadtrip indeed.



When we got there we picked up Eric, my fellow Harry Potter ubernerd, and drove to Corey's house, where we met up with Corey and William. We drove to the mall to kill time, where we had a wonderful time joking and simply enjoying each others' company, falling back into sync as if the two months spent apart were two days. We ate a wonderful meal complete with wonderful dessert, went home and changed into costume, and finally drove to the movie theater for what I consider the finale of my childhood.

 Yum



I know it's a bit pathetic, but I cried for most of the movie. I cried partly because of the story which, although very different from the book, proved to remain faithful in epicness to its source material. But mostly I cried because, although it sounds sappy, I was watching the end result of days spent reading and nights spent dreaming about a magical world that shaped who I am today. Not only that, but I was watching it with a few of the people I love most.

The next day was so happy, and made me ache desperately for UT. The few hours of morning we had together we spent laughing and playing silly drawing games and catching up. I felt like I was back home on campus, and it nearly killed me to go home. We said farewell to each other and split, promising we'd see each other before too long. I read once that being in college means having two homes and two families. While I do cherish the time I spend at home with my real family, I'm itching SO BADLY to get back to campus and have some fun times with my other one.

Farewell for now!

1 comment:

  1. My son solved the college/home problem by having one of his best friends from college live in our guest room all summer. She is very perky and fun. And his roommate from college works with him, so it's one big happy Southwestern family around here. School will start soon! No more weird former band parent comments from me now, I promise.

    ReplyDelete