Sunday, July 10, 2011

It's like flying, only with more bruises

I think I'll start out by saying that I'm a daredevil. I love roller coasters, jumping in whitewater rapids, and simply being reckless in general. My greatest ambition is to go skydiving in the near future.

That being said, tubing terrifies me. I don't know if I had some terrible run in when I was little where a tube tried to kill me or what, but being dragged behind a speedboat basically being waterboarded is not my idea of fun.

The family reunion I talked about was at my grandparents lake house. I was enjoying swimming around with my sisters and cousins until my uncle finally coerced me onto the boat to go tubing. I wish I had pictures to put on here with my absolutely beautiful face of sheer terror, but they aren't in yet.

Despite my hesitance to get started though, I soon found that it was more fun than I remembered. Being the nerd I am, I pictured myself as Harry Potter, flying over the Black Lake on the wings of Buckbeak.


In reality, it was far less graceful than that, and I'm about 90% sure my bathing suit came off shortly before I faceplanted at high speed into the water.


That isn't me, but I'm pretty sure that's what it looked like.

Anyways, after two turns I had enough, and decided that it's way more fun to watch other people hurl themselves into the water than to be hurled myself. If you've never heard of the term schadenfreude, follow that link to go look it up.

The story has a happy ending though, because I did not drown and got to eat some delicious cake afterward, my uncle serving me a particularly big "bravery slice". Yeah, my family's just that awesome. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I thought I'd support your blog. It is funny but I just told my husband that just about the only water sport I sorta like is tubing. I hate roller coasters, will never skydive...but I am OK tubing. I prefer floating down a river or kayaking. There I am in control. Good luck on your blog!

    ReplyDelete